Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tired of Moving

I moved to Colorado in 2006.  Ready to start fresh, to figure out what it was like to live across the country from almost everyone I knew.  It made me realize a few things.  1.  I have a strange love for almost all things Pennsylvania and Maryland.  2.  I have a ridiculous amount of random knowledge about these states.  3.  I miss being with a few hours from almost all family members.  4.  Being more than a few hours away from all family members has been very healthy for my family :)  5.  It was time I grew up. 

It's easy to look for answers from people who have been there my whole life.  There are a select few who almost know me better than I know myself.  With the amount of people in and out of my life, they remained steady and constant.  A compass for me throughout the chaos of life.  I like to think I've added to my compass since being out here. 

So, when we heard this weekend that our landlord wants to move into our house, I felt displaced.  I suddenly remembered being in AmeriCorps and changing living arrangements every few months.  Then coming to Denver...I've lived in 4 places in 5 years.  Perhaps everyone has been doing this.  I just have to say...it's not as much fun anymore.

With all of my moving, I felt a little like a gypsy.  Keeping most of my things in a bag, just in case.  There was something magical about it.  Like staying in a place for too long wasn't in my blood.  It took me quite a few moves before I finally unpacked.  (Actually I think Will made me unpack).  So it's frustrating to leave this home, where I wanted to unpack for a few years.  I know that we'll find a great place.  I just feel a bit turned around.  But how can anyone say no to this face?

 I would also like to be here again:

Instead of worrying where residence number five will be.  It's just one more thing.  Sometimes, I just wish things were a little bit easier, for all of us.  But I think that's what the compass is for, to remind me which direction to go in.  That maybe I don't know useless trivia about Colorado, but it's an amazing place and sometimes the best things in life take a little work.  And lots of moving. And great people will be there too.  I really wish that people would invent a teleporter already though.  The inner nerd in me believes it would really make visiting a lot easier.
So...here's for an amazing adventure in finding a new place.  And here's to the amazing people who remind me where I'm going, so I am comforted  by the direction I am headed...

1 comment: